Pages

Saturday 21 April 2018

Starting to feel a lot like Spring!

Uh-oh, really not all that good at keeping on the ball here but admittedly, I've been juggling a lot with sewing, work and Mandarin class but I've finished my exams now and I've ALSO finished making my first OP so let's talk about that!

Here are the initial designs! I wanted to keep the construction fairly simple since it's my first time making an OP so I went with the third design, partly because the lace on the bust makes me think of the Innocent World OP I bought but doesn't fit right U___U

And here she is! My first ever OP!
For this project, I bought 2m of gingham and used a pattern from Otome no Sewing 5. Since this doesn't have shirring, I added 1.5cm seam allowance - just in case. 

Close up of the bodice. The pattern I used has princess seams which I much prefer to sewing darts. It was a little plain with just the lace so I added lilac ribbon which can be tied in a bow. This also helped cover the raw edges of lace, making a cute scallop.

I'm really happy with how the sleeves turned out! I think I've conquered my fear and will now be happy to make dresses with sleeves! I ran out of tulle lace so used a cotton lace to trim the sleeves. I also used this for the hem.

I also made bias binding for the first time to make a casing for the elastic because I forgot to buy some (duh) but it was actually quite easy (I used the hack with the pins) and good for using up leftover fabric. Another proud moment! :)

I made good use of my ruffle foot for the waist and lace on the hem. The hem is approx 220cm and is really nice and full! 

Here is it lads! I put a zip in a dress for the first time in a VERY long time and it wasn't traumatic! I used to avoid sewing zips if I could because of some very traumatic experiences T__T another sewing fear conquered! :D


I also lined the bodice! I've not slip stitched a lining since my placement in bridal and it too me a lot longer than I remembered. It's not perfect but I did it! 
And MOST importantly, pockets!!! There are two pockets in the skirt!!!

And finally, a worn photo with a petticoat, showing the accurate colour! The bodice is a little big so I will maybe add either a ribbon belt or detachable waist ties and I will reduce the size a little for my next project!

---

Overall it took 4 weeks on/off from the design to the finished dress but I'm V pleased with how this turned out and that I conquered all these sewing fears! I can't wait to make another OP! Does anyone else have sewing fears? What do you try to avoid when sewing?

- Part Time 小姐

No comments:

Post a Comment

Myths of Our Own - Lads on Tour

This is a VERY late post - I have no excuses other than I'm rubbish at blogging. Anyway, welcome to the first of a series of blog pos...